Seven things you need to know about making these chocolate chip cookies:
- You will end up with 12 nearly flawless soft and chewy cookies. If you’re looking for the thin and crispy type, buy Pillsbury.
- Melt the butter. It shouldn’t be hot – but it should be almost entirely liquid.
- Add enough flour. You’re looking for something in between the a wet dough and dry dough. You should be able to roll the ball of dough between your hands without any issues. If the dough is too wet you will end up with flat cookies and that is not our intention with these.
- Don’t over bake the cookies. This is essential for keeping the cookies soft.
- Let them cool for about 30 minutes or so. They will sink down and turn into these dense, buttery, soft cookies that you will want to make again and again.
- They will stay soft for days. They also freeze well.
- The recipe:
Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup of salted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips (I use the chocolate chunks you can find in the bulk bin at any supermarket)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease (your preference)
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, white sugar and brown sugar with a hand mixer until creamy
- Add the egg and vanilla, beat on low speed for about 15 seconds or until it is just incorporated. The key here is not to over beat the egg or you will end up with stiff cookies
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the bowl, mix until crumbles form
- Using your hands, press the crumbles together to form a smooth ball of dough. If you find that its sticking to your hands, add some extra flour, a few tablespoons at a time
- Add the chocolate chips and mix them into the dough with your hands
- Form the dough into 12 even balls (they will be larger cookies), and place on baking sheet. Bake in over for about 9-12 minutes or until they are puffy, dry and just barley golden
- Remove the cookies from the over and let them cool completely
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!