I adore soups. Especially when they’re mostly vegetables, and twice as much when they’re creamy. This Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup recipe hits all of the above.
Here are other reasons why I love this recipe:
- The soup is filling on its own, but grilled cheese, cornbread, quesadillas, or even a crusty baguette will make it even more substantial.
- If you, like me, don’t keep heavy cream in the house, half-and-half or whole milk are good alternatives. You can also replace the cheddar with Swiss cheese for another variation- the recipe lends itself well to substitutions.
- Garnish the dish with a drizzle of olive oil, more cheese (never a bad idea in my opinion), a dollop of sour cream (or crème fraiche), or homemade croutons. So many possibilities.
- To make this recipe vegan, substitute the heavy cream with coconut milk and omit the cheese. For a cheese-like flavour, add ¼ cup nutritional yeast. For those new to nutritional yeast, it is a dairy-free, savoury food seasoning with a cheesy, nutty flavour. You can use nutritional yeast the same way you would grated cheese. Sprinkle it over anything from salads and roasted veggies to pasta and scrambled eggs. Or my personal favourite – tossing one or two tablespoons with a little bit of olive oil, salt and freshly popped popcorn – it’s highly addictive, but I digress., Just try it if you haven’t already. You will not regret it.
Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup Recipe
2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2 small yellow potatoes (such as Yukon Gold), peeled and finely chopped
3 ½ cups vegetable broth (or use a bouillon base, or water)
1 bunch broccoli (about 1 ¼ lbs), chopped into ½-inch pieces
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 1/2 pound), plus more for serving
½ cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, if using, and stir for one minute longer.
- Add the potatoes and broth or water and bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender working in batches), puree the soup until smooth. Be careful because it will be hot!
- Return to the pot, on low heat. Add the cheese, then stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Divide the finished soup between your bowls. Garnish with more cheddar, a drizzle of olive oil, or a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
If you have any questions or feedback about this recipe, I’d love to hear it! Let me know in the comments below or tag me on Instagram (@chrissymeetsworld)