My boyfriend and I were walking when I decided to create a no-churn ice cream recipe. We don’t have an ice cream maker, and no-churn ice cream feels like a great alternative.
We came up with two possible ways to make it.
Mine uses a stand-mixer, a loaf pan and minimal physical effort. Vic’s approach involves a 5-gallon bucket, lots of ice, ice melt and me rolling the bucket around the backyard. I won.
Here is what you need to know about this no-churn chocolate and Oreo ice cream:
1. You only need five ingredients – heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla and Oreos. I know it sounds too good to be true, but believe me when I say that this no-churn ice cream is every bit as delicious as a store-bought pint or scoop from an ice cream shop. To take it to the next level, I like adding salt and espresso powder.
2. It only takes 10 minutes to make. Pop it in the freezer overnight – no churning necessary. It’s stupid easy.
The secret to creamy ice cream without a machine is beating the cream until medium-stiff peaks form. Try not to overbeat the cream or overmix when adding in the filling—overbeating the cream lets in too much air. Those air bubbles cause the ice cream to break apart when it freezes, and your ice cream won’t be smooth.
3. The recipe is versatile (why stop at one flavour?). Another one of my favourites is peanut butter and pretzel. Substitute the cocoa powder with half a cup of melted peanut butter and the Oreos with pretzels. Get the full recipe here.
If you have any ice cream flavour suggestions, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you.
No-Churn Chocolate & Oreo Ice Cream Recipe
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
¼ tsp sea salt (optional, but highly recommended)
15-20 Oreos, crumbled (about 2 cups), divided
1. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set it aside. Make sure there is room in your freezer for the pan to sit.
2. Whip the heavy cream until medium-stiff peaks form in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or a hand mixer. Do not over whip the cream!
3. Combine the condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla, espresso powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Mix until well combined, and no clumps of cocoa powder remain.
4. Pour the condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold everything together. Do not over mix, or the whipped cream will deflate (think how sad deflated whipped cream would be).
5. Fold in ¾ (about 1.5 cups) of the crumbed Oreos into the ice cream mixture and pour everything into the prepared loaf pan. Top with remaining Oreo crumbles.
6. Freeze for at least 12 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments or tag @chrissymeetsworld on Instagram.