I scream, you scream, we ALL scream for NO-CHURN PEANUT BUTTER PRETZEL ICE CREAM! That’s right folks, and this salty, sweet frozen treat can be yours without an ice cream maker (I’ll wait for the applause to finish).
Check out my earlier post to read about my no-churn ice cream adventure and chocolate Oreo ice cream recipe.
Here is what you should know about this no-churn ice cream:
1. All you need is eight ingredients and a stand-mixer. This recipe is pretty much as easy as it gets. I’m talking 10 minutes of prep for some luscious and creamy ice cream that tastes every bit as delicious as a scoop from a fancy ice cream shop. The star of this recipe is the peanut butter-filled pretzel pieces. I get emotional talking about these pretzels. They’re slightly sweet, salty, savoury and incredibly delicious. You can find them at most grocery stores in the snack aisle.
2. Don’t overbeat the cream or over mix when adding in the filling. The secret to creamy ice cream without an ice cream machine is to beat the cream until soft peaks form. If you overbeat the cream, there will be too much air in it. Those air bubbles cause the ice cream to break apart as it freezes, which won’t be smooth.
3. I make my no-churn ice cream with a base recipe of heavy whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. The flavourings and fold-ins are entirely up to you. If I can offer one piece of advice, don’t skimp on the fold-ins. For the best results, Because I can’t leave well-enough alone (go big or go home, right?), I add a layer of fudge ripple in the middle and on top. This extra step is optional.
The possibilities are endless with this versatile recipe, so I encourage you to get creative, play with the ratios and try different flavour combos.
If you have any suggestions, let me know in the comments below!
No-Churn Peanut Butter Pretzel Ice Cream Recipe
4 cups (1 L) heavy whipping cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup peanut butter, melted
1 tbsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
2 cups peanut butter-filled pretzels, roughly chopped
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dark chocolate works too, I used Baker’s Corner brand)
2 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set it aside. Make sure there is room in your freezer for the pan to sit.
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Do not over whip the cream!
- In a separate bowl, combine the condensed milk, melted peanut butter, vanilla and salt. Mix well until the ingredients are completely combined.
- Pour the condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold everything together. Do not over mix, or the whipped cream will deflate (think how sad deflated whipped cream would be). Fold in 1 ¾ cups of the chopped peanut butter-filled pretzels.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or using a double-boiler, melt the chocolate chips and butter. For the microwave – microwave on high for 30-second increments stirring in between each until the chocolate chips melt. Set aside.
- Transfer HALF the ice cream to the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer using a rubber spatula. Drizzle half of the melted chocolate over the ice cream, then pour the rest of the ice cream on top of the chocolate. Top with remaining pretzels and melted chocolate.
- Freeze for at least 12 hours before serving. Before serving, I recommend leaving it on the counter for 10-15 minutes for easy scooping. Enjoy!