One of my all-time favourite donuts is the Oreo donut from the Italian Bakery. They are light and fluffy yeast-based donuts with vanilla glaze and crushed Oreos on top. Honestly, I dream about that glaze. I’m drooling just thinking about them. My second favourite is chocolate glazed donuts, not from one place in particular, just in general. I love chocolate cake donuts. Hungry yet? I’ll get on with it.
These two donuts are the inspiration behind these Oreo donuts. It combines the best parts of my two favourite donuts – a soft, dense chocolate cake donut with a vanilla cream cheese glaze topped with crushed Oreos. Oh, and I folded some crushed Oreos in the batter as well. Yes – there are Oreos both IN and ON the donut (YOLO).
Here is what you need to know about this Oreo Donut recipe:
- Don’t overfill the pan. Fill the donut pan about 3/4 full. Otherwise, you risk overflowing them in the oven. I use the Wilton donut pans because they are nonstick, easy to clean and durable. The easiest way to get the batter into the pan is to pipe it in using a pastry bag, or you can cut a hole in the corner of a large Ziploc bag (my method of choice).
- Let the donuts cool completely before adding the frosting. This will prevent the frosting from sliding around and making a mess.
- Store the Oreo donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for two or three days. Or freeze unglazed donuts for up to two months.
For more Oreo goodness, try my No-Churn Chocolate & Oreo Ice Cream recipe!
- Donut Pan
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Oreo cookies, very finely crushed
For the Frosting
- 1 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Oreos, crushed (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the vegetable oil, milk and egg until well combined. Whisk in the vinegar and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the crushed Oreos.
- Spoon the batter into a pastry bag or large Ziploc with a small hole cut at the corner. Pipe the batter into the donut moulds, filling them about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the donuts cool for at least 10 minutes.
- While the donuts cool, make the frosting. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and beat until it is smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add 1/2 tsp of milk or water at a time until you get the conistency you way. Dip each donut into the frosting and top with crushed Oreos. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments below or tag @chrissymeetsworld on Instagram.