Remember Cracker Jack popcorn?
Whadda ya want
When you gotta eat somthin’?
And it’s gotta be sweet
And it’s gotta be a lot…
No? Okay, if you don’t remember the commercial, you’ll remember the iconic packaging and the fun prize in every box. (Good luck getting that song out of your head, by the way).
This recipe is inspired by Crack Jack’s – it’s sweet, salty, caramelized popcorn that’s baked to give you the perfect crunch. My tastebuds are dancing just thinking about it.
Here is what you need to know about this Salted Caramel Popcorn recipe:
- Fresh air-popped popcorn is ideal in this recipe. However, if you don’t have an air-popper, the microwaveable stuff works too. Just remember to use neutral flavoured popcorn so there aren’t any flavours competing with the salted caramel goodness you’re about to make. I have the Cuisinart EasyPop Popcorn Maker and am a big fan.
- Once the ingredients for the caramel are in the saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil for 2-3 minutes, then take it off the heat and add baking soda. If the caramel starts to bubble, you are doing it right!
- Mix it up! Try adding ½ cup nuts, like peanuts (a la Cracker Jacks), M&M’s, pretzels or raisins as a healthier option. Or, add a pinch of cayenne to the caramel for an extra kick.
- After the popcorn is baking, you’ll want to stir it every 10 or 15 minutes to prevent it from clumping and cooking unevenly. If you don’t have a large baking sheet, divide the mixture between two sheets and rotate them from top to bottom each time you stir it. The popcorn will last up to two weeks in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you like this recipe, try my Oreo Donuts for another fun treat.
Salted Caramel Popcorn
- 10 cup popped popcorn (~1/2 cup unpopped)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a large baking sheet (or two medium sheets) with parchment paper or silicone mats, set aside.
- Add half of the popcorn to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, and let it boil for about 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and quickly whisk in the baking soda.
- Pour half of the caramel over the popcorn. Add the rest of the popcorn, then add the remaining caramel. Stir until the popcorn is evenly coated in the caramel. Transfer the popcorn to the prepared baking sheet, spreading it evenly to the edges. Sprinkle ½ tsp of sea salt on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes, taking the popcorn out every 10-15 minutes to stir. Allow caramel popcorn to cool for at least 5 minutes. Devour.
If you tried this recipe, tell us what you think in the comments below or tag @chrissymeetsworld on Instagram!