There’s a reason why “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” sounds like a slogan- because it actually was a slogan (and maybe still is?), once upon a time.
Rewind back to 1944, at the dawn of one of the most successful marketing campaigns in history. General Foods launched an ad for Grape Nuts cereal, calling it “Eat a Good Breakfast – Do a Better Job,” and ran radio ads with the line: “Nutrition experts say breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, and so it was.
You may agree with this or not, but I am a firm believer in the old breakfast adage. As someone whose day begins early and ends late, I know it is important to fuel my day the proper way. During the week, my breakfast go-tos are usually my Cinnamon Flax Muffins or rice cakes smothered in peanut butter (yes, you read that correctly – don’t knock it until you’ve tried it). But, when the weather is chilly, I like to start my morning with something a little toasty (pun intended). Enter: Silver Hills Bakery.
Silver Hills Bakery is a family-owned, family-focused company whose mission is to empower people by providing healthy food choices. I have been buying Silver Hills bread for years now, and love it. Not only are their breads packed with nutrients, they are also delicious.
Here are the 4 things you need to know about Silver Hills Bakery:
- Silver Hills’ breads are made from sprouted whole grains and a simple list of ingredients. Sprouted grains are essentially seeds that have been triggered to germinate and are eaten before they develop into full-grown plants. The sprouts ensure your blood sugar levels stay steady and provides energy to power you through a full day of work and play.
- The bakery believes in eating whole foods as close to their original state as possible and are committed to using only Non-GMO Project Verified ingredients.
- Obviously, bread is not limited to breakfast, and Silver Hills is not limited to loaves of bread. Other products include bagels, tortillas and buns. Although their “Squirrely Bread” may be one of my all-time favourites, right now my current obsession is their hamburger and hot dog buns, especially in the summer.
- Silver Hills Bakery believes in plant-based nutrition, so I was inspired to create a recipe using their sprouted grain buns. Below is my recipe for Black Bean Tortas. What are tortas? Tortas are the love child of a sloppy joe and a burrito. They are a type of Mexican sandwich that can be made with any number of fillings, and they are delicious. So without further ado, the recipe:
Black Bean Tortas with Silver Hills’ Sprouted Hamburger Buns
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3- 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked
1 ½ cups of vegetable broth (you can also use water if you don’t have vegetable broth)
Salt and Pepper
4 Silver Hills Sprouted Grain Hamburger Buns, toasted
Vegan chipotle Mayo (recipe follows)
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to turn golden.
- Add the garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beans and broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat. Cook for about 10 to minutes until the mixture begins to thicken up.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture slightly (think chunky guacamole). Stir in the lime juice, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the tortas, layer the bottom half of the buns with the chipotle mayo, beans, avocado, lettuce, tomato and red onion. Finish with some more mayo on the top half of the bun. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Vegan Chipotle Mayo
1 cup vegan mayonnaise (if you want to substitute regular mayonnaise, I won’t tell)
¼ cup chipotle hot sauce or sauce from a can of chipotles en adobo (add more or less to taste)
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
Salt (to taste)
Whisk the first three ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste. Add salt as needed. This can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge.
To learn more about Silver Hills Bakery and their products, click here or check them out on social media:
YouTube: Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery
This post of sponsored by Silver Hills Bakery but the opinion of chrissymeetsworld.com remains unbiased.